Carrot Cake Muffin
Made without gluten ingredients and vegan friendly!
Our Carrot Cake Muffin is like having carrot cake bread in muffin form. Feel free to add icing or another topping to make it extra decadent.
2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1:1 GF Flour(or sub all-purpose flour)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1.25 cups vegetable oil (or any other light oil such as canola)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened applesauce*
300 grams (~3 medium) carrots, shredded
100 grams (~1 cup) walnuts, toasted and chopped
raw sugar for topping
* (you can sub 4 eggs instead of the applesauce, but the texture will be different and the recipe will no longer be vegan-friendly)
1. Add all dry ingredients to a medium-sized bowl. Whisk together until combined. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of the stand mixer combine the oil, white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract & applesauce. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix on medium-low speed until just combined; do not overmix.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the shredded carrots and toasted walnuts by hand until mixed throughout. You may leave out the walnuts, or sub another nut altogether. Coconut is also a great addition!
5. Line two muffin tins with paper liners or grease heavily.
6. Portion batter into liners. Do not fill above the liner. (~1/4 cup each) Top with a teaspoon of raw sugar each.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350° F for ~25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
NOTE: Because of the oil and applesauce, these are a wetter muffin. As long as the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. They will be very moist and possibly sink in the middle a tad. You didn't mess up.