Our Banana Bread is really popular in our cafes. We use either chocolate chips or walnuts in the recipe, but feel free to experiment with other sweets or nuts!
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/3 tsp salt
2/3 cups butter, softened (~5.3oz)
1 cup granulated sugar
4 (medium) ripe bananas, peeled
1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cups mini chocolate chips or chopped & toasted walnuts
raw sugar or powdered sugar to top
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy. About ~2-3 mins.
2. Mash up the bananas using a fork in a small bowl and then add the bananas to the mixer and mix on medium speed until incorporated.
3. Add in the egg & buttermilk and mix until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix or your bread will be too dense.
5. Mix in the chocolate chips, walnuts, or whatever other mix-ins you prefer.
6. Pour the batter into a heavily greased or parchment-lined 9x5 bread pan.
7. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes.
*Baking time depends on your oven. You may need more or less time, depending. A toothpick inserted into the thickest part of the bread should come out clean, with a few crumbs, but no batter.*